5 Reasons Why Staying With a Homestay Family is the Best Choice to Get a Full Immersion when Learning Spanish in Oaxaca
1. Responsible Tourism: Living with a homestay is a form of tourism that allows you to rent a room from a local family to better learn the local lifestyle and to improve your Spanish. When staying with a homestay family you contribute enormously to the local economy because you generate greater economic benefits for local people who also become more culturally sensitive and in exchange they provide more enjoyable experiences through more meaningful connections with local people and a greater understanding of local cultural, social and environmental issues.
2. More Spanish: Living with a family enables you to interact on a daily basis in Spanish and helps you to practice what you learned in class, enriches your vocabulary and gets you in contact with Spanish more hours a day.
3. A Deeper Cultural Immersion: Staying with a homestay family helps to learn more about the culture and the local traditions of Oaxaca. When students opt for this form of lodging they live, eat and share the majority of their time with a homestay family who usually involves the students in family events such as dinning out, camping and holiday festivities such as Christmas, Easter, and Day of the Dead.
Families that host students from the Instituto Cultural Oaxaca have been in contact with Spanish language students for many years, and they are the best travel advisers in Oaxaca, while staying in Oaxaca they will give you advice about cultural events, places to eat, how to get to different villages in the valley of Oaxaca.
4. Local Food: Oaxaca is famous for its gastronomy, specially for the “Mole Negro,” and the best is the one my Mom cooks. That is what most people in Oaxaca would say, and to be honest there are amazing cooks among the women who host students from the Instituto Cultural Oaxaca, so if you plan to stay in Oaxaca for a few weeks living with a homestay family will give you a local taste of the flavors of Oaxaca.
5. Less Cost: We recommend our students to study Spanish in Oaxaca if possible one month, living with a homestay family can be a great economic benefit for the family but also for the student. For US$18.00 per day a student can get lodging and breakfast and a great local adviser of where to go, eat or shop.
Whether you come to Oaxaca or travel somewhere else to Learn a language we strongly recommend that you live with a homestay family. As you can see there are very good reasons to do so.
For more information about Instituto Cultural Oaxaca, Spanish Language Classes or Homestay Families please visit www.icomexico.com